LPC by Comity
LPC by Universal
Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) by Universal Licensure
AN ACT TO CREATE SECTION 73-50-2, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO PROVIDE THAT MISSISSIPPI OCCUPATIONAL LICENSING BOARDS SHALL ISSUE A LICENSE TO AN APPLICANT WHO ESTABLISHES RESIDENCE IN THIS STATE IF THE APPLICANT HOLDS A CURRENT LICENSE IN GOOD STANDING FROM ANOTHER STATE, HAS BEEN LICENSED BY THE OTHER STATE FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR AND SATISFIES CERTAIN OTHER CONDITIONS; TO PROVIDE THAT THE LICENSE ISSUED TO THE APPLICANT WILL BE IN THE DISCIPLINE APPLIED FOR AND AT THE SAME PRACTICE LEVEL AS DETERMINED BY THE OCCUPATIONAL LICENSING BOARD: (Full statute)
Pre-application Requirements for Universal Licensure:
1. Valid LPC license, at the independent practice level, issued by another state
2. Out-of-state license in good standing, with no disciplinary action.
3. Proof of Mississippi Residency
4. Notarized Affidavit of eligibility.
Individuals applying for Universal Licensure should be prepared to submit with your application:
1. Verification of Licensure in Other Jurisdiction (link to Form D). You must have held this license from the occupational licensing board in the other state for at least one year.
2. Copy of original licensure file which includes supervision verification forms, transcript, and national exam scores. If the state will not forward a copy of your license file, then you must submit the documentation directly to the MS LPC Board as required.
3. Proof of Mississippi Residency. (see instructions for applying below)
4. Completion of Mississippi Pass/Fail Jurisprudence Examination (see instructions for applying below)
5. Notarized Affidavit of eligibility. (link to form)
6. Fingerprint Background Check. You will order a fingerprint card from the Board when you pay your application fee at the end of the application process and the card will be mailed to you along with instructions.
If you have met the pre-application requirements and want to begin your application for Universal Licensure/LPC, please print the PDF below for reference and follow the Instructions below.
Instructions for Applying for Universal Licensure or Universal LPC
- Create an online Profile by entering your Social Security Number and the code provided.
- Upload one (1) document of proof of Mississippi Residency. i.e. Current Mississippi residential utility bill with the applicant’s name and address; Documentation of the applicant’s current ownership, or current lease of a residence in Mississippi; Documentation of current in-state employment or notarized letter of promise of employment of the applicant or his or her spouse; or (d) Any verifiable documentation demonstrating Mississippi residency.
- Upload your Curriculum Vitae (C.V.).
- Notarized Affidavit of eligibility. (link to form)
- Select whether or not Active Military.
- Complete the Name section taking care to use upper and lower-case letters, and your legal name as recognized by federal authorities. If your transcript and exam records are under another name, please note.
- Complete Address section with current information for receipt of documents mailed from the Board office. You will be able to update the address information if necessary.
- Email address and Password are required to log back into your Profile. Secure these for future reference.
- Complete the exam results questions and order your score results to be sent to the Board from NBCC if an official copy is not already included in your license file from another state. (link to NBCC)
- Current “passport style photo” is required to be uploaded. Photo of head and shoulders only, color, no distracting background, professional look. Selfie photo with blank background is acceptable, provided the previous requirements are met.
- Only verified primary sourced graduate degree transcripts are necessary and considered for application.
- Fingerprint background check is required for application. You will order a fingerprint card from the Board when you pay your application fee at the end of the application process.
- Answer each of the questions honestly and substantiate your response if necessary. Be prepared to provide additional documentation. A “Yes” answer does not mean certain denial; however, failure to disclose information will result in denial of application.
- Affirm by checking the box that your statements are true and correct to the best of your knowledge.
- Do NOT check this box if you have not completed all the previous parts of the application. You will not be able to perform any edits after you check the box.
- Continue to Payment if you are ready to initiate your application. Your application is not activated until payment is made.
- Check the box next to your application fee amount.
- Check the box for the required fingerprint background card to be mailed to the address you selected as your preferred address. Instructions for successful submission of the fingerprint card will be enclosed.
Mississippi Pass/Fail Jurisprudence Examination
Once LPC by Universal Licensure application has been submitted and payment remitted, you will be able to register for the Mississippi Pass/Fail Jurisprudence Examination. The link will be available in your profile in the App Info tab. The Mississippi Pass/Fail Jurisprudence Examination is available from CCE beginning January 1, 2023.
Once you complete the examination, you may upload email indicating a passing score on the Mississippi Pass/Fail Jurisprudence Examination to your application. CCE will provide the Board with official pass/fail report.
Mississippi State Board of Examiners for Licensed Professional Counselors
239 North Lamar Street
Jackson, MS 39201
Office: 601 359-1010