LPC by Comity
LPC by Universal
Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) by Comity
Mississippi does not have agreements of reciprocity with any other state. However, individuals can apply for an LPC by Comity by meeting the following requirements (complete requirements are posted in Rule 4.3 of the Rules and Regulations):
Pre-application Requirements for Licensure by Comity
- Valid LPC license, at the independent practice level, issued by another state.
- Out-of-state license in good standing, with no disciplinary action.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience as a counselor since the issue date of the license.
Individuals applying for Licensure by Comity should also be prepared to submit with your application:
Before creating an online Profile, please gather the items for #3 and #4. Once you begin the profile, you must enter and upload supporting documents before you can save and continue creating Profile. (Once you check the box in Part V and VII, you cannot edit the application.)
- Verification of Licensure in Other Jurisdiction (link to Form D)
- Copy of original licensure file which includes supervision verification forms, transcript, and national exam scores. If the state will not forward a copy of your license file, then you must submit the documentation directly to the MS LPC Board as required.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Three (3) work reference names and email addresses. When your application is submitted, the Board will send an email requesting a letter of recommendation from these individuals that will be returned directly to the Board as outlined in the instructions they will receive. The reference letter must be on letterhead (to include address and phone number) with their signature and include context of relationship and observations. The reference will also be required to complete a short evaluation of Applicant.
- Fingerprint Background Check. You will order a fingerprint card from the Board when you pay your application fee at the end of the application process. The fingerprint card and instructions for processing will be mailed to you.
- Individuals applying for Licensure by Comity should also submit a passing score on the Mississippi Pass/Fail Jurisprudence Examination as part of your application.
The examination cannot be taken prior to submitting an online application and remitting the application fees. (See Instructions below for Applying for Licensed Professional Counselor by Comity for details on registering for examination.)
- NOTE: If you are not a resident of Mississippi, you must upload documentation for distance professional services provider, as pursuant to the Rules and Regulations 7.5., in order to provide telehealth/distance professional services to clients from your state to clients who are receiving services in Mississippi. You must also maintain a license where you are providing services from.Please upload the supporting documentation to the DPS section of profile. The documentation will be reviewed and if it meets the rules requirement, your profile will be updated. Details below.Instructions for Applying for Licensed Professional Counselor by Comity – Print PDF
- Apply for Distance Professional Services Provider Distance professional services involve the use of secure electronic communication in either asynchronous methods including email and social network systems or synchronous methods such as telephone, chat, and video systems, to provide counseling services to individuals, couples, families or group members. Distance Professional Services must be performed in accordance with the Rules and Regulations, the current American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics, the current National Board for Certified Counselors Policy Regarding the Provision of Distance Professional Services, and Mississippi and Federal law.The Board requires that LPC and LPC-S licensees who offer distance professional counseling services or supervision hold the required credential or show proof of completion of professional training according to Rule 7.5.
- Be an Active Status LPC in Mississippi
- Hold a license in good standing in the state where the recipient receives services
- Hold the Board Certified TeleMental Health (BC-TMH) credential or its equivalent as recognized by the Center for Credentialing and Education, Inc. (CCE) or the National Board of Certified Counselors OR completed professional training according to Rule 7.5. The professional training must be a minimum of nine (9) clock hours and must include the areas listed in Rule 7.5. Professional training can be gained by either: (1) Graduate-Level Academic Training (as documented on the syllabus) or (2) Continuing Education training course (as documented by certificate).
- Submit to the Board verification of credential or of completion of professional training in TeleMental Health counseling by uploading a copy of the credential certificate OR training certificate to your profile at the bottom right side of the General Registration tab.
Refer to the links below for more information on distance professional counseling services.
How to obtain the BC-TMH Board Certified-TeleMental Health Provider.
National Board For Certified Counselors (NBCC) Policy Regarding the Provision of Distance Professional Services
Are you ready to apply for Licensure by Comity? Yes
Instructions for Applying for Licensed Professional Counselor by Comity
- Create an online Profile by entering your Social Security Number and the code provided.
- Select the Comity option
- Upload your Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- Provide three (3) references with email addresses. When your application is submitted, the Board will send an email requesting a letter of recommendation from these individuals that will be returned directly to the Board as outlined in the instructions they will receive. The reference letter must be on letterhead (to include address and phone number) with their signature and include context of relationship and observations. The reference will also be required to complete a short evaluation of Applicant.
- Select whether or not Active Military.
Part 1 – Personal Information
Complete all blanks as applicable to you. Note the following for successful application:
- Complete the Name section taking care to use upper and lower-case letters, and your legal name as recognized by federal authorities. If your transcript and exam records are under another name, please note.
- Complete Address section with current information for receipt of documents mailed from the Board office. You will be able to update the address information if necessary.
- Email address and Password are required to log back in to your Profile. Secure these for future reference.
- Complete the exam results questions and order your score results to be sent to the Board from NBCC if an official copy is not already included in your license file from another state. (link to NBCC)
- Current “passport style photo” is required to be uploaded. Photo of head and shoulders only, color, no distracting background, professional look. Selfie photo with blank background is acceptable, provided the previous requirements are met.
- Only verified primary sourced graduate degree transcripts are necessary and considered for application.
- Complete the Education information. Order your official transcript to be sent to the Board by eScrip to email@example.com, if such transcripts are not included in your license file from another state.
- Fingerprint background check is required for application. You will order a fingerprint card from the Board when you pay your application fee at the end of the application process. The fingerprint card and instructions on processing will be mailed to you.
Part 4 – Personal Licensure History
- Answer each of the questions honestly and substantiate your response if necessary. Be prepared to provide additional documentation. A “Yes” answer does not mean certain denial; however, failure to disclose information will result in denial of application.
- “Return to Profile” will return you to the General Registration page allowing you to update and make changes.
Part 5 – Oath
- Affirm by checking the box that your statements are true and correct to the best of your knowledge.
Part 6 – Affidavit and Release
- Do NOT check this box if you have not completed all the previous parts of the application. You will not be able to perform any edits after you check the box.
- Continue to Payment if you are ready to initiate your application. Your application is not activated until payment is made.
- Check the box next to your application fee amount.
- Check the box for the required fingerprint background card to be mailed to the address you selected as your preferred address. Instructions for successful submission of the fingerprint card will be enclosed.
Mississippi Pass/Fail Jurisprudence Examination
Once Comity application has been submitted and payment remitted, you will be able to register for the Mississippi Pass/Fail Jurisprudence Examination in your profile on the App Info tab.
Once you complete the examination, your pass scores will be emailed to you. You may upload to your certificate. CCE will provide the Board with official pass/fail score report.
Are you ready to apply for Licensure by Comity? Yes
Mississippi State Board of Examiners for Licensed Professional Counselors
239 North Lamar Street
Jackson, MS 39201
Office: 601 359-1010